Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Castle for a Princess

Isabella asked for a castle cake for her 5th birthday party and I was excited to tackle this one.

I searched around on the net for ideas and finally came up with something I was happy with.

I started off with 3 butter cake mixes for the bottom and made 2 slabs (to give it the height I needed). I then made 2 round cakes for the top and a batch of chocolate cupcakes for the base of the turrets.
I inserted straws in the cake and cut them at the required length so the top layers were supported and didn't make the cream all squish out from the bottom slab. Then I iced it using Betty Crocker premade frosting. Not the cheapest option but so easy to use and it tastes so good!

Now came the time consuming part - decorating. I really had no idea what to do so kinda just came up with things as I went along. Rick suggested the wafer windows with the black outline and we couldn't decide on the musk stick drawbridge or the wafer drawbridge.



The marshmellows looked perfect as the castellations and pre-made butterflies, flowers and mint leaves helped with the garden. The t
urretts were topped with tiny marshmellows and silver balls.

I finished it off with roughly marking 'bricks' on the whole cake with a tooth pick. And I found some Breast Cancer Awareness pink & white M&M's which were PERFECT for the cobblestones around the front of the castle.



Miss Isabella was most impressed and she loved her Princess Castle :)
Happy Birthday Princess
* xxx *


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home